Here's all the stuff I need to get off my chest, rant about, praise a little, offend you with, or otherwise make available for everyone to read.

Contact Me
My Homies' Blogs
Crapspace Profiles of People I Know
St. Louis Blogs
My Favorite Restaurants & Bars
Cardinals Links
Other Sports Links
Local Music Links
Other Music Links
News & Weather
Logic & Reasoning
Funny Shit
Previous Posts

Archives

Quarter Life Crisis

Monday, November 08, 2004

Live and Learn

Back a few weeks ago, I went to my old Jr. High to help the kiddies out with their fall play like I've done every year for the past 5 years or so. I realized that this was the first group of kids to go through that school that weren't even born when I was there (truly making me feel like and old fart).

Every year the kids are a bit different, they always look a bit older on the outside, but act a lot younger. Each year a little less respect, and for the girls, a little less clothing, but for the teachers a few more gray hairs. I'm I getting too be an old coot at only 26. "No way" I said to myself, and a few teachers confirmed that belief.

I asked a group of teachers "I just don't know how you guys do it. Put up with this on a daily basis that is. Were we really that bad 14 years ago?" I fully expected a "Hell yes" but I actually got a firm "No, not even close." The teachers went on to inform me about how stuff that we used to get suspended for, kids barely get noticed for today. Stuff that teachers would stop class and publicly make an example out of us for, is old hat and status quo now. "It scares too many parents nowadays" to paraphrase one teacher. "We could lose our jobs now if we cross the line now. But we don't know what the line is."

Too many overprotective, overly P.C. parents. Too many episodes of Oprah and Dr. Phil. Too many shrinks and counselors. Too many complacent parents dropping kids off and letting the babysitter or the day care take care of the problem. Too many TV sets playing the role of mom and dad. Too many sue happy people out there wanting to profit from the moral decay of their own children.

Sometimes you need to learn from your mistakes and learn to appreciate the little things in life. That's what I want for my kids. Paul Harvey sums up my sentiments pretty well in the passage below (with a few minor changes that suit my beliefs better).
We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse. For my (kids) grandchildren, I'd like better.

I'd really like for them to know about hand me down clothes and homemade ice cream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches. I really would.

I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated.

I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car. And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.

It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your old dog put to sleep.

I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in.

I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother/sister. And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room, but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's scared, I hope you let him.

When you want to see a movie and your little brother/sister wants to tag along, I hope you'll let him/her.

I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely.

On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your Mom.

If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.

I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.

When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.

I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a boy\girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.

I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it if you like it, you know when to say when. And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend that only you, are ultimately responsible for your own decisions.

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Grandma/Grandpa and go fishing with your Uncle.

May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays.

I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through your neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Hanukkah/Christmas time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness. To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.
"I know sour, which allows me to appreciate the sweet." - Brian [Jason Lee] from the movie Vanilla Sky

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates