Here's all the stuff I need to get off my chest, rant about, praise a little, offend you with, or otherwise make available for everyone to read.

Contact Me
My Homies' Blogs
Crapspace Profiles of People I Know
St. Louis Blogs
My Favorite Restaurants & Bars
Cardinals Links
Other Sports Links
Local Music Links
Other Music Links
News & Weather
Logic & Reasoning
Funny Shit
Previous Posts

Archives

Quarter Life Crisis

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Mayer of Cooltown


John's back with his third studio album, "Continuum" which is set to be released on September 12, 2006. However thanks to some studio trickery from good friend of mine, I have an advanced copy (don't worry John & Columbia Records, we'll all still be buying the real album when it comes out). You can go preview it for yourself here at Clear Channel Music.

So far I'm highly impressed. Twelve solid tracks of great pop/jazz/blues/rock. A lot of you have already heard "Waiting on the World to Change" or seen the video. Guess what? That's not even close to the best song on the album. I'm personally huge a fan of "Belief", a Sting-esque, medium paced song with a driving beat. Not too heavy and not to soft, with a great chorus and a slick guitar solo. Meaningful lyrics as well.

"Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" is another new favorite. A slow bluesy ballad with a similar feel to "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. This one promises to unbelievable live. John seems to agree with me on that premise.

"I built so many corners into these songs I cannot wait to play them live - I've been imagining myself on stage playing 'Slow Dancing in a Burning Room' for the last six months."
Here's a few more notable quotes from John on the new album:

"This is the first endeavor in my entire life, music or otherwise, that I did not cop out for a second on."

"It's meant to shed a little light on inactivity and inaction." -John Mayer, on his newest single "Waiting on the World to Change"

"The night I was recognized for 'Daughters' at the Grammys was the night this record started."
As if his song writing and musicianship aren't bad ass enough, this is his first shot at producing as well. Not to mention he's an all around cool guy. I've heard him on quite a few radio and TV interviews, read a lot of print interviews, as well as his blog and I get the impression that he's a pretty fucking smart guy. He's the type of dude I'd like to hang out with on a cool autumn evening in NYC and just bar hop and listen to some cool new music.

My only complaint (which I share with my friend Bryan) about the new disc is that there aren't enough upbeat songs. It's a bit too mellow overall. I really would have liked to hear "Try" from the JM3 album on there instead of "Vultures". I think at least two more ass-kicking blues tracks would have really made this album complete. The cover of "Bold as Love" by Jimi Hendrix while really good, just isn't enough to satisfy.

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates