Here's all the stuff I need to get off my chest, rant about, praise a little, offend you with, or otherwise make available for everyone to read.

Contact Me
My Homies' Blogs
Crapspace Profiles of People I Know
St. Louis Blogs
My Favorite Restaurants & Bars
Cardinals Links
Other Sports Links
Local Music Links
Other Music Links
News & Weather
Logic & Reasoning
Funny Shit
Previous Posts

Archives

Quarter Life Crisis

Thursday, September 25, 2003
As of this moment the Chicago Cubs lead the Cincinnati Reds 4-2 in the bottom of the sixth inning. If the Cubs hold the lead for 9 more outs they will mathematically eliminate the St. Louis Cardinals from the playoffs. One of the worst parts about this is the fact that not only were we finally starting to look sharp again as a team, but the Cards don't even play today. So they will just have to sit there and watch this happen.

This will be the first time since 2000 that the Cards have failed to make the playoffs (thanks to Bryan S. for the correction), if my memory serves me correctly. Oddly enough, many of the fans in Cardinal Nation as well as analysts across the country believed that this was the best team St. Louis had assembled in at least a decade and probably since the 1982 team that won it all. Unfortunately, lack of consistent pitching, injures at almost every position (including bench players), and an apparent lack of motivation seems to be what did us in this year. But you have to admit we do have a phenomenal team. Four gold gloves in the field with a serious possibly for five or six this year, three players with over thirty homers (ok not quite, Rolen needs 2 more), two of the top Batting Averages in the league (Pujols and Renteria), three players with over 100 RBI's, and a slew of other stats that I won't take the time to mention. But alas, we just couldn't pull it all together all at the same time.

So what do we do? In my humble opinion (which happens to be shared by most true Cards fans) we start with pitching. Morris & Woody are certainly gonna be your 1 -2 punch next year. Maybe even keep Hitchcock as a #4 or #5 starter and possibly Kiko Calero if he heals well as your #4 or #5 starter or as a good long middle reliever. Tomko, with his improved ERA at the end of the season, and Danny Haren will certainly be worth keeping around as a setup guys. In the pen, Izzy, Eldred, Kline (only cause he's a lefty) and Dejean stay and that's it. All other pitchers go (unless they are making the league minimum).

Then, as much as I love him, you trade or release my boy Fernando Vina to free up salary. With the surprise appearance of Bo Hart and the quality of Miguel Cairo's time at second base, we should be fine there. Then, the tough decision , Drew or Edmonds. They both make a boatload of cash (with Edmonds making a bit more) and we have enough good outfielders to fill practically every outfield position in the NL Central. So it comes down to a few key things; age, leadership, injuries, and simply the quality of their play. While I know that someday J.D. Drew is going to be a superstar, you can't rely on that right now. Edmonds is one of the best defensive CF's we've ever had and he can hit like a mo-fo when his heart is in it (plus I just got an Edmonds jersey this year). So I say drop Drew. More salary available and if a trade could be made along with Vina or a good bench player, we could probably get a top 15 starting pitcher. I would like to get rid of Tino although I know he tries his hardest, but he just isn't doing what he should be. However, I think he may have a no trade clause for the rest of his contract, which runs out at the end of next year.

So I think that's about all we can do. We are a team made for winning, and made to win soon. So let's do it soon. Here's to a great season full of some awesome memories boys. I went to more games (15 I think) this year than I ever have and had a great time at each one. There's nothing better in sports than Cardinal's baseball during a St. Louis summer. Good luck next season guys, we'll see you in April. I'll watch these last three games content for now.

But until then............ Let's go BLUES!!!!

Update: As I finish this post the Reds are up 8-6 on the Cubs in the bottom of the 8th. Three more outs and we stay alive for another day.

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates