Here's all the stuff I need to get off my chest, rant about, praise a little, offend you with, or otherwise make available for everyone to read.

Contact Me
My Homies' Blogs
Crapspace Profiles of People I Know
St. Louis Blogs
My Favorite Restaurants & Bars
Cardinals Links
Other Sports Links
Local Music Links
Other Music Links
News & Weather
Logic & Reasoning
Funny Shit
Previous Posts

Archives

Quarter Life Crisis

Saturday, July 03, 2004
Went to the batting cages with Karyn this week on Thursday. It was the first time I'd swung a baseball bat at something that was actually being pitched at me in about a decade. I had 6 tokens, each token getting me 14 pitches. I started off in the softball cages (of which they had 3: high arc, medium arc, and low arc) and tried each cage once. I hit almost every ball in each cage as a perfect solid line drive. Great contact, each would have been a perfectly placed basehit. So I knew my mechanics were still there, otherwise I would have been hitting tons of ground balls and popups. Then I decided to try the baseball cages with my remaining three tokens. They had 6 baseball cages (35 mph, 40, 50, 60, 75, and 80 mph). Since all the slowest were full of young'uns , I stepped into the 60 mph cage which I was sure I could hit. At first I looked a fool whiffing at the first several, but I soon found my timing and started hitting them. The last few may have even gone for home run distance in a small ballpark (had they been allowed to travel that far). So I confidently stepped into the 75 mph cage. Big mistake. I think I might have made contact with 4 of the balls and only one of those traveled forward. Pretty embarrassing, especially since the 14 year old kid behind me stepped in and hit at least 5. Oh well, I had a good excuse not having swung a bat for so long. My hands are now blistered as hell, and my whole body hurts like a mo-fo (ask the L-Train about his similar experiences). Hopefully with a couple more trips, my soreness will start to subside and my blisters will callus up. By then I should be smacking liners in the 80 mph cages. Next step.... spring training 2005!!

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates