Here's all the stuff I need to get off my chest, rant about, praise a little, offend you with, or otherwise make available for everyone to read.

Contact Me
My Homies' Blogs
Crapspace Profiles of People I Know
St. Louis Blogs
My Favorite Restaurants & Bars
Cardinals Links
Other Sports Links
Local Music Links
Other Music Links
News & Weather
Logic & Reasoning
Funny Shit
Previous Posts

Archives

Quarter Life Crisis

Thursday, December 04, 2003
My most recent issue of Rolling Stone is the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time". It was voted on by musicians, producers, record executives, and radio DJ's. While most "Top (insert number here)" lists are usually pretty shitty, this one isn't half bad. (I actually own 31 of the top 100 albums.) I would have like to have seen some Zeppelin and Floyd albums a bit higher in the rankings (I think the highest Zeppelin album was #29), but for the most part they got this one right. Obviously the Beatles have like 6 albums in the top 20 which is understandable, as well as the number one album of all time "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band". There are however some pretty strange ones in there. As you get towards the 300's and 400's you start seeing a ton of albums that are less than a few years old, and some that just came out this year (the newest No Doubt album for instance). I think its pretty ballsy to categorize some of these newer albums as "the greatest of all time" since they really haven't had the opportunity to stand the test of time yet. Does anyone really think that years from now when we are all old and grey we'll look back and say "Wow, that "Ray of Light" album by Madonna was one of the best albums of all time"? Let's hope not.

Update: I decided that since this list was pretty good, and I've been buying so much new rock lately, I'm going to let this be my guide to purchasing all those kick ass classic albums that I've been meaning to buy but can never think of when I'm carousing the record store.

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates