Here's all the stuff I need to get off my chest, rant about, praise a little, offend you with, or otherwise make available for everyone to read.

Contact Me
My Homies' Blogs
Crapspace Profiles of People I Know
St. Louis Blogs
My Favorite Restaurants & Bars
Cardinals Links
Other Sports Links
Local Music Links
Other Music Links
News & Weather
Logic & Reasoning
Funny Shit
Previous Posts

Archives

Quarter Life Crisis

Monday, March 01, 2004
I was watching an episode of Bill Maher's new show "Real Time" this evening after the Oscars were over and they were discussing the topic of gay marriage. I know I've already shared my thoughts on this topic, but Sir Ian McKellen (who played Gandalf in the LOTR trilogy and is openly gay) referenced a quote from Thomas Jefferson that suited the topic well. I think it is a concept that can also be applied to many of the uber-conservative and traditionalist ideals that are currently holding our country back from any sort of real social progress. It is as follows:

"I am certainly not an advocate for frequent and untried changes in laws and constitutions. I think moderate imperfections had better be borne with; because, when once known, we accommodate ourselves to them, and find practical means of correcting their ill effects. But I know also, that laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths disclosed, and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also, and keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy, as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

I'm sure without a doubt that you can see how this notion can be applied to many of the problems facing our country today. Specifically those views held by the extreme Christian Fundamentalist right wing. As a country we cannot, I repeat, CANNOT let moral concepts that were applied to a civilization thousands of years ago (or even decades for that matter) govern the laws of our contemporary society.

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates