Here's all the stuff I need to get off my chest, rant about, praise a little, offend you with, or otherwise make available for everyone to read.

Contact Me
My Homies' Blogs
Crapspace Profiles of People I Know
St. Louis Blogs
My Favorite Restaurants & Bars
Cardinals Links
Other Sports Links
Local Music Links
Other Music Links
News & Weather
Logic & Reasoning
Funny Shit
Previous Posts

Archives

Quarter Life Crisis

Thursday, October 02, 2003
I've purchased 9 new CD's in the past 20 days or so (10 if you count the one double disc). That's a lot of music. But so far, so good. In fact these might be some of the most satisfying albums I've purchased in a long time. On September 9th, I went out and got the new John Mayer CD, "Heavier Things" the night it came out. I just happened to pick up three more while I was there as well. Gavin DeGraw's debut "Chariot", The Thorns self titled debut, and some classic stuff in the form of The Rolling Stones "40 Licks". All of which turned out to be most excellent selections. I can't go in to too much detail about each one right now, but here's the rundown:

John Mayer - Heavier Things: I'm sure most of you have heard "Room for Squares" by now. If not, get it. If so, get this one. To sum it up; more sophisticated than the first; less DMB, more Sting; less pop, more experimental; less acoustic, more electric. This one will grow on you. I was disappointed after the first listen but every time after that got better and better (apparently this phenomenon occurred with the other John Mayer fans that bought this as well).

Gavin DeGraw - Chariot: Take two parts Billy Joel, two parts Van Morrison, add a teaspoon of Stevie Wonder, a dash of Elton John, a sprinkle of Bruce Hornsby, and top off with the current pop sound and sensibility of John Mayer, and BAM!! you've got your self a top notch piano playing singer songwriter who's on his way to the big time. His first single ("Follow Through") should be hitting mainstream radio soon, but watch out, the rest of the album is even better.

The Thorns - The Thorns: Hmm.... are Crosby, Stills, and Nash writing songs under a new moniker or is it just the fact that Pete Droge, Shawn Mullins, and Matthew Sweet have a serious knack for old fashioned 1970's American folk rock. Probably the latter choice there. Three solo acoustic pop guitarists get together to form a great folk pop/rock band. The vocal harmonies are crazy good and the songwriting is excellent. For a second there I thought I was on my way to Woodstock, NY in a VW van circa 1969 when this was on my car CD player; then I realized I was just on my way home from work.

The Rolling Stones - Forty Licks: Uhhh I don't think I need to explain this one. Umm how bout this..... the only collection of Rolling Stones songs ANYONE will ever need. Unless you are the kind of person that wants to lick the sweat off Mick Jagger's leather pants.

The other five disc's I just bought two days ago, so I can't really comment on those yet. But I promise I will soon for all you music lovers out there. In the mean time these should give you something to look in to while I give these newest five a few listens. But like I said earlier, so far, so good.

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates