Here's all the stuff I need to get off my chest, rant about, praise a little, offend you with, or otherwise make available for everyone to read.

Contact Me
My Homies' Blogs
Crapspace Profiles of People I Know
St. Louis Blogs
My Favorite Restaurants & Bars
Cardinals Links
Other Sports Links
Local Music Links
Other Music Links
News & Weather
Logic & Reasoning
Funny Shit
Previous Posts

Archives

Quarter Life Crisis

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Whlie I'm On the Subject...

...of Led Zeppelin, here's a few interesting LZ items I've run across recently.

The first is a clip of a dutch performance artist (and possibly a very distant relative of Nick) named Jeroen Offerman singing "Stairway to Heaven". This clip needs a bit of explanation though. It seems as though Jeroen learned how to phonetically sing the entire song backwards, over the backwards music. So he videotaped himself singing it backwards over the backwards music, and then reversed it (see the clip here). Not only did he have to learn the pronunciation of the words backwards, but the timing of the lyrics, the notes, the syncopation of the lyrics, etc. The outcome is a really neat version of the song that makes perfect sense lyrically and phonetically. Only a few minor barely noticeable mistakes are made. You can see the original backwards singing of the song here.

Apparently he's touring the performance at certain colleges where he will actually perform the song live backwards while it is being recorded in the sound booth. The booth then replays the audio right back to the audience. Pretty damned cool. A serious tip of the hat to Caron on that one.

Since we're on the subject of "Stairway" backwards. I thought I'd point out a really good site to hear the backwards masking in the song. For me the backwards lyrics are clearly there, the question is whether it is a phonetic coincidence or an intentional ode to <church-lady voice> SSSSAAATTAN..ATAN..ATAN...ATAN </church-lady voice>. Backwards masking is definitely fairly easily accomplished as I've seen it done personally in some of my audio classes. It's up to you to decide whether they did it purposefully. Here's another good site with some backwards masking in other songs.

Oh, and here's a horrifying band called the Screeching Weasels and their masterpiece-of-shit "I Hate Led Zeppelin" (scroll down and click the link to listen if you dare). Then, enjoy your bleeding ears.

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates