Here's all the stuff I need to get off my chest, rant about, praise a little, offend you with, or otherwise make available for everyone to read.

Contact Me
My Homies' Blogs
Crapspace Profiles of People I Know
St. Louis Blogs
My Favorite Restaurants & Bars
Cardinals Links
Other Sports Links
Local Music Links
Other Music Links
News & Weather
Logic & Reasoning
Funny Shit
Previous Posts

Archives

Quarter Life Crisis

Thursday, January 08, 2004
NEW FEATURE ALERT!!!

Like I said, I was thinking about adding an "Album of the Moment" feature in addition to the individual tracks I have made available for download. Well done, and done. If you look to your right in the margin, there it be. Just above the "Music of the Moment" tracks. It will probably take between 30 - 45 minutes to download with high speed connection, but that's a small price to pay for a free CD. Here's a bit about the first album I chose:

BT - Movement in Still Life: There's no specific reason that I chose this album to post first other than A) it was in my CD player today, and B) I think I listened to it for 4 months straight at one point. By far BT's most accessible album, the grandfather of progressive/dream trance has mixed a little bit of everything on this album. Just enough of an electronic music feel to please his hardcore fans, but plenty of rock, pop, and even hip-hop to help display his mind-numbing talents to a wider audience. Some of you may have heard the energy filled hardcore pop-rock single from the album called Never Gonna Come Back Down. A must listen to in the car on a big Saturday night out on the town. Tracks like Madskillz and Smartbomb display his affinity for hard breakbeat hip-hop, and the masterfully edited title track (Movement in Still Life) gives the album a retro-danceable Michael Jackson on LSD type song. Love on Haight Street is one of my surprise favorites, a rap song, done the way I feel rap should be done. With great musical arrangements and lyrics that go beyond "drinkin Crystal", "booty shakin", and "bling, bling". Great variety on this already, but we're not done yet. Let's shake it up even more.

Shame is a perfectly crafted and quite beautiful alt-rock pop song. You can barely tell it was the creation of an electronic music artist. It's so ready for rock radio it's just silly it never made it there. With the help of vocalist Jan Johnson, BT gets back to his purest trance roots on the breathtaking Godspeed (probably my favorite electronic music song of all time) and on the richly layered and ethereal Mercury and Solace. Unbelievable what one man can do with a keyboard and a computer. If you're in the mood for something more relaxed, BT's got you covered there too. Electro-trance-pop like Running Down the Way Up or Dreaming with full string arrangements and Jan Johnson on vocals could take you away from this planet for a while. Speaking of space travel, the album's sparkling gem is track six, Satellite. It's hard to classify really. BT's first real attempt at vocals sounds shaky at first but once the chorus kicks in you'll know why this guy is a musical genius.

From a kid who had mastered Chopin and Bach on the piano at age six, and dropped out of the Berklee College of Music because he felt it was holding him back, we get this. I have more respect for this guy than most people will ever know. He's scored a ton of movies, collaborated with over 20 major artists, and single-handedly changed the face of music for our future. Always on the cutting edge, keep up the good work.

"To marry melody, harmony and memorable songwriting with the most bleeding-edge technology possible is my passion. These are the things that excite me." -- Brian Transeau

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates