Here's all the stuff I need to get off my chest, rant about, praise a little, offend you with, or otherwise make available for everyone to read.

Contact Me
My Homies' Blogs
Crapspace Profiles of People I Know
St. Louis Blogs
My Favorite Restaurants & Bars
Cardinals Links
Other Sports Links
Local Music Links
Other Music Links
News & Weather
Logic & Reasoning
Funny Shit
Previous Posts

Archives

Quarter Life Crisis

Tuesday, December 09, 2003
I have to tell you all about the wonders of Del Taco. I know most of you are used to picking up Taco Bell when you're in the mood for Mexican fast food, but you should really give Del Taco a try. It's better on so many levels. Many, many moons ago when I was a wee lad, my dad used to take me there whenever we were in the downtown area and in the mood for a quick bit to eat. Back then it was known as Naugles and there was only one in the entire city of St. Louis that I can recall. I don't know if it just changed names or if it was bought out by another company, but the menu is pretty much the same now as it was back in the day. I've been going there as an adult pretty regularly for the past three years or so and have had very few less than acceptable experiences. Many less at least than other fast food joints I frequent. I remember back a few summers ago when Liam & I were both working for my dad, we used to go at least once a week and get burrito's the size of our head for like $2.50. Those things really did weigh over a pound. Get the combo meal to go with it and you were pushing close to 2000 calories in one sitting. For shits and grins, lets compare Del Taco to Taco "Hell" in a few different categories:

Customer Service / Speed: Del Taco edges out the Bell by just a bit on this one. They always ask if you want sauce, offer drinks, repeat your order back to you, give you napkins and a receipt each time, etc. During lunch time, Del Taco is pretty fast, although they are lacking in speed during the overnight hours.

Food Quality & Overall Taste: Del Taco hands down on this one. Everything just tastes more natural. The beef tastes real, the cheese tastes like real fatty goodness, the taco shells are crisp, etc. Not only that but they actually put the right amount of shit on your item. Tacos have a good amount of cheese and meat, not just a handful of lettuce. Last taco I ate at the Bell had three!!!! shreds of cheese on it, and that's if you count the ones that fell off into the wrapper.

Menu Selection / Variety: This is a tough one. Taco Bell has stuff like Chalupas, and Gorditas, enchiritos, etc, plus it has all sorts of different sauces like the Baja sauce (which by the way goes great on regular tacos) and the Santa Fe sauce, etc. Taco Bell will even make you shit they used to serve 3 years ago but no longer is on their menu if you just ask for it. Del Taco is a bit more straightforward. Tacos, burritios, nachos, and quesadillas. That's about it. But then I remembered that they fucking serve french fries, hamburgers, salads, and even serve breakfast too. How cool is that. You can go get a double bacon cheeseburger and a chicken works burrito in the same stop. I'll say this one is a tie.

Value / Price: Taco Bell is cheap. Del Taco is cheaper. I don't know how they do it but if you can get a burrito that weighs a pound for 3 bucks. That's a good deal. Tacos at the Bell I think are 89 cents, Del Taco has them for 49 cents. And you get more than just a head of lettuce in a shell.

Good eats man. Plus every store is open 24 hours. Bonus! If you've never had it give it a try next time instead of Taco Bell. I'd recommend the Chicken Soft Taco with some sour cream or the Chicken Works Burrito. Or if you're really hungry try the Macho Combo Burrito, that's the one that weighs over a pound.

I was seriously looking into what it would take to franchise one of those puppies. I could make a killing putting one up in west county on Manchester Rd or hell, any college town would love to have one. Missouri is one of only three states east of the mountain time zone to have any Del Taco's around. Unfortunately you have to have a net worth of over 750,000 bucks for them to even accept your franchise application. So there goes that idea. Unless I could find some investors. Anyone interested?

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates